Saturday, January 2, 2010

Craig Reynold's dog, Bonnie

Bonnie, 24 x 12
This time a year ago I was so excited about going to my first lesson with Gadsden artist, Craig Reynolds. I took watercolor lessons from his father, Leo Reynolds, about 15 years ago... but wasn't able to keep it up because I was a new mother and I was working from home. My husband gave me lessons with Craig for my Christmas present last year (2008)... and oh, what a wonderful gift that was! Not only did I take lessons from a great teacher but I have gotten to know a wonderful man and his wife, Estra. They are two of my biggest encouragers. I wanted to do something for Craig to let him know how much I appreciate everything, so I painted his dog for him. How I met "Bonnie"... One day when I was at Craig's studio he said, "I got a new baby." I was thinking, "Grandbaby?" And then he went upstairs and brought down the cutest, tiniest little black ball of fur, a Scottie dog named "Bonnie." Bonnie stole my heart from the very first visit and started taking lessons with me. Anyway, this painting is a surprise for Craig. He doesn't know I'm doing this for him. I hope he likes it!

6 comments:

  1. How sweet! And what a wonderful painting of Bonnie. You are so thoughtful.
    Hayley (Craig's step daughter)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just popped over here for the first time and was greeted by the most inviting smiling dog face! I looked around a bit too and really like the paintings of the houses as well - I wonder how hard it is to think in oil vs watercolor from years ago? Totally different techniques. . . love your subtitled too - I know how you feel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Lisa... your paintings are awesome. It was pretty hard for me to get used to oils... but I played around with it and got the feel of it, and I love it. My artist aunt always told me that she wanted me to try out oils... she said she knew I'd love it. From the looks of your blog, I can tell you know how I feel about having to paint every day. I love your work and thanks for posting here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Hayley! Good to hear from you. Hope you had a Merry Christmas... I'm sure Charlie loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I can say is WOW!! You are an awesome person, artist and friend.

    ReplyDelete