Monday, December 20, 2010

Granny's Kitchen

Granny's Kitchen
6 x 6, oil
~A Gift~
For the past few years, we've gone to my Uncle Dan and Aunt Suzie's house in Chattanooga for our family Christmas party. We went yesterday and I carried four small 6 x 6 paintings framed in dark frames. We played "Dirty Christmas" where we each draw numbers and "steal" the present we want. This painting was the one my Uncle Dan was hoping to get, and he did. I'm glad he did because he sent me all the pictures that I used as reference photos. My Granny was a special lady. As my cousin Brent said about her yesterday, "There wasn't an evil bone in her body." She always cooked spectacular meals for us in one of the smallest kitchens I've ever visited. This is a painting of her preparing breakfast one morning in her blue quilted robe. I loved how she was using the morning light in the room versus the overhead light. I can almost smell her "hotcakes."

2 comments: