Thursday, June 16, 2011

"Home" - Lessons with John Guernsey

"Home"
12 x 12, oil on linen
Painted under John Guernsey's instruction

This week I took some private lessons from artist friend John Guernsey. If you've never seen his work before, you have truly missed out on an awesome artist. He just recently created a blog for himself... and in my opinion, he's one of the best artists out there. He's originally from California but presently lives in Georgia. He has participated in the Southeastern Plein Air festival with me for the past three years, and that's where I met him. The past two years, he's won "Best of Show" for his paintings. He very humbly told me during the festival that he thought he might could teach me some things to help me improve my work. I found out that he teaches ongoing classes each week and also gives private lessons. So I asked if he could come to my home to teach me when he came back to Gadsden, which he agreed to do. John is a very self-less teacher, and looked at some of my paintings and told me how I could improve them. He also completed two 9 x 12 demos for me... one architecture and one landscape. On the second day, he sat beside me and instructed me as I completed the above painting of my home. Even down to the composition, he instructed me... so when the painting was complete, I asked if he would co-sign it with me. He told me that wasn't necessary... but I truly wanted him to because it would've turned out totally different had he not been here. I know this painting looks like a "John Guernsey" painting... but I hope to incorporate some of the valuable information he shared with me into my own work, and make it my own. So to my artist friends... if you're looking to improve your work, I highly recommend you contact John. His email address is johnbguernsey@bellsouth.net (Click here to see his new blog)

John next to our painting. Thanks again, John!!!

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful piece! And it sounds like he was a great instructor. :)

    ReplyDelete