Thursday, June 23, 2011

"One of My Best Days Ever"

"One of My Best Days Ever"
11 x 14, oil on linen

My daughter, Blaire, loves horses.  She doesn't have one of her own, but we have a friend that lets her come over and ride his horses.  She's happy to just stop by and see them.  Recently I was given the name of a lady that gives riding lessons and contacted her.  I didn't realize at the time that she lives almost two hours away.  So we went one time and Blaire just loved her, so I decided it was worth the drive to go back.

You know, as a parent, I sometimes struggle to know the right decision.  There is so much to balance.  I want to do all that I can for my children, but in no way do I want to "spoil" them in a negative way.  I'd love to give and buy them everything, but that is not the right thing to do (nor is it affordable!).

However, horses make my daughter's heart sing.  She's always loved animals.  I remember when she could barely walk, she'd walk in the back door carrying a little green anole lizard by the tail to show me... smiling ear to ear at her little prize.

So I scheduled another riding lesson with "Mrs. Joanne," as Blaire calls her.  Blaire's love language is gifts, so she made Mrs. Joanne a large painting of horseshoes and also took her a rubber band ring shaped like a horseshoe "because she is so nice to me," Blaire said.

Mrs. Joanne and her horse, Callie, spent about two hours with Blaire that day.  Blaire never quit smiling.  I knew she was having fun, but I didn't realize how much until we got in the van afterwards and she said as we were driving away, "That was one of my best days ever."  I almost started crying, considering the fact that I almost didn't take the trip back.  I looked in my rearview mirror at her and said, "Mine too."

3 comments:

  1. sob sob! but I love it! My daughter Alexa is 12, the only girl of 4, and sometimes I feel like she got shortchanged being the last. She loves horses and no one took her seriously until recently. She went to the neighbors house one her own to clean stalls just to be with the horses....After a couple months, the stable owner gave us a call....She offered us her "baby", a 12 year old horse named Smoky, for lease for less than she even boards a horse, so Alexa could "have her own"....The stable owner said she's had many offers for Smoky, but the fit was never right until she met Alexa.....I hope Blaire finds her fit someday too......

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful story--both my daughter(now aged 53) and her daughter(senior in college) were horsewomen. I loved every minute I spent with them at shows and hauling horse trailers. The horse painting is great and so are the watermelon slices.

    ReplyDelete