Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Cadmium Yellow

Cadmium Yellow
9 x 12, oil

I recently attended my very first workshop.  The instructor was Colley Whisson from Australia.  I've admired his work for some time, and when I saw that he was going to be in Alabama (at the Alabama Art Colony) I immediately signed up.  This was last November and the workshop was eleven months away, and they already had a waiting list.  Fortunately, they had some cancellations and I was able to fill a space.

If you ever get a chance to take from Colley Whisson, I highly recommend it.  I told him since he was my first workshop, he was definitely at the top of my list :).  But seriously, all the participants raved about what a wonderful, patient, hardworking teacher he is.  I learned a lot from him and hopefully I can incorporate what I learned into future paintings.

This is a painting that I completed on the last day.  It wouldn't be near the painting without Colley's input. To see more of Colley's work, click here.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Bet this will not be your last.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how the dark and light background gives the painting depth and makes the objects really stand out.Great brushwork too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those brushstrokes in the background and the reflected color on the turp container are just stunning. Are you going to take any other workshops in the near future?

    ReplyDelete