Sunday, November 6, 2011

An Honor from the Navy Operational Support Center in Charleston, SC

Arthur Ravenel Bridge, Charleston, SC
6 x 6, oil, sold

I recently was contacted by Mr. Donnie Distler from the Navy Operational Support Center in Charleston, SC.   He told me he was designing a "challenge coin" for the First Class Petty Officers Association, and wanted to know if he could use my painting of the Arthur Ravenel Bridge on their coin.  My response, "Absolutely!"

What an honor!  I was not familiar with the command coins, and he sent me this link to help me understand.   It is a military tradition to trade and collect these coins.  The FCPOA for the Navy Operational Support Center in Charleston supports 28 reserve units comprised of over 400 Navy Reservists.  Over 50% of their Reserve population is currently serving overseas.  I'm so honored that they wanted to use my painting to help represent them!  Below is a copy of the coin design, along with a t-shirt that they had made showing the coin.


5 comments:

  1. I love this Gina! I was stationed in Charleston when I was in the Navy, I worked at the hospital and my two oldest boys were born there, great memories for me, and how awesome that you were given the honor to represent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a huge compliment and honor!! I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! How cool is that!! What an honor Gina, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful honor, and I love the painting. I am in awe of the workmanship of that bridge every time I drive over it.

    ReplyDelete