Wednesday, January 4, 2012

"Green"

"Green"
10 x 10, oil on linen panel

Every year, nine of my high school friends get together for Christmas.  I always leave with my stomach hurting from laughing so much.  It's amazing how you can come together with old friends and it seems like you've not been apart for the whole year.  My friend since before kindergarten has lived in Florida for several years, but she always makes it to the party.  One friend lives about 45 minutes away in Fort Payne and wasn't able to make it.  She always has a hysterical story from her life to tell.  The rest of us all remained in our little town of Glencoe or next door town Hokes Bluff... one accountant, one school counselor, two school teachers, two nurses, and three stay at home moms (me being in the last category).  All nine of us graduated from college, though I've never really thought about that until now.

I bought this vase for a Christmas present this year.  I was planning on giving it at my girlfriend's Christmas party, secretly hoping I would get it back so that I could use it in my still life paintings.  However, I saw one of my girlfriends a few days before the party and she encouraged me to bring one of my paintings instead.  So I did, and thankfully it was well received.  One friend even threatened to "roll in the floor" fighting for it :)  So needless to say, the green vase stayed wrapped under the tree until Christmas morning... and I opened it.

This painting is a little different for me.  I'm trying some new styles, having fun.

4 comments:

  1. Love the cool colours with little bits of warm,its beatuful and I'm not surprised this was so well recieved.
    Sounds like you have a great bunch of friends,and you're right ,with old friends the time apart just melts away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved visiting your blog. Beautiful brush work and color. Thank you for commenting on my blog. Always nice to have visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just looking through your blog. Love your figures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas and just as wonderful beginning to the new year (and are fully recovered from the setback of a little sickness!). I envy your long term freindships - how nice is that!! Your brushwork is so vigorous, Gina - the tulips and this green vase are lively, colorful, joyful!

    ReplyDelete