Monday, February 27, 2012

Zilpha's Treasures

"Zilpha's Treasures"
6 x 6, oil

A sweet lady and friend that I go to church with came up to me a few Sundays ago.  "I have something I want to show you," Mrs. Zilpha said.  I followed her to her car and she carefully picked up a small box.  "This was my cup when I was a little girl," she said smiling.  She looked up at me and there was a twinkle in her eyes.  "I think it's close to 200 years old."

I cringed, thinking I hope I don't break it.  She went on... "It was very old when I got it.  My mother used to bake biscuits, put one in this cup and pour coffee over it.  It's what I ate every morning for breakfast."

I cringed more.  I thought, "Great, it's an antique and a treasure."

But I smiled at Mrs. Zilpha.  Who can help but smile at such a sweet lady?  "You want me to paint it for you?"

She replied, "If you don't mind."

"I would be honored."

She then showed me her plate that she ate from as well.  She told me I didn't have to include the plate,  but I could if I wanted.  I then asked Mrs. Zilpha what her favorite flower was, in case I needed to include one in the painting.  She told me a yellow rose.  And then she told me she'd rather me use a daffodil.

And then my husband, who overheard the story, volunteered to take the box to our car for me.  (He knows I'm a clutz).

4 comments:

  1. Having painted,or tried to paint daffodils I can appreciate how beautifully you captured this one.The cup and saucer are gorgeous and the shadows add drama and depth!! A good friend of mine lent a box of her prized ceramics and glass and I painted them as fast as I could and gave them all back to her ,thank God ,all in one piece! It was such a relief!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand :) I will be glad to return her treasures to her! Thanks Azra!

      Delete
  2. Awww that's really touching. And you did such a beautiful job! The colour scheme is gorgeous, it drew me in right away. I'm sure she will be more than pleased!

    ReplyDelete