Monday, April 9, 2012

2012 Southeastern Plein Air Festival - Day 1

"Overlook at City Hall"
14 x 11, oil on linen

Today was the first day of the 2012 Southeastern Plein Air Festival in Gadsden, Alabama.  It was a BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL day...  I think everyone had a great time.  I painted two paintings today, and tried to pick out two locations that are somewhat memorable for folks in Gadsden.  The first was City Hall.  I love the retro looking blue color on this building.  While I was painting, a lady that works at city hall came up and asked me what I was painting... they were watching me from her window and trying to figure out if I was painting the building or the river.  I told her I loved the blue color and she said they all call it "Ugly Blue."  I started laughing...  I guess if I worked there I may feel differently about the color :)

"Gadsden Municipal Amphitheatre"
10 x 10, oil on linen
The second painting was of the ticket booth at Gadsden Municipal Amphitheatre.  The orange cone roof really caught my eye with the afternoon sun.

Tomorrow we will all be painting at Camp Sumatanga.  If you'd like to come see several artists from across the Southeast paint tomorrow, here are the directions.



No comments:

Post a Comment