Wednesday, October 10, 2012

"The Farmer"

"The Farmer"
11 x 14, oil on linen
Commission, sold

I was talking to her about my high school sweetheart, now husband.  "Oh, Gina, I know.  It's the same way I've always loved Robert."  I was standing in her kitchen looking into the eyes of a woman that's still head over heels in love with her husband of forty-seven years.  She smiled, nodded her head, and gave me that knowing look.

I asked her about her wall of windows above her kitchen sink.  The light poured across the room bringing sunshine and warmth.  It tickled her that I loved the windows so much.  She shared with me how they remodeled her kitchen and how those windows were the focal point of the room.  And I can see why... this is her view...



She showed me some more treasures in her home, including some awesome photographs of their land by their youngest son, Mike.  Robert and Sandra own what I think is some of the prettiest land in Etowah County, and they know that it's a blessing to have such a gift of land.  'Cause you know... they're not making land anymore.

Land that drinks in the rain often falling on it and that produces a crop useful to those for whom it is farmed receives the blessing of God.  ~ Hebrews 6:7

Sandra called me with an idea she had for a painting of her husband on their farm.  I went out and took some pictures of Robert with his cows.  I took my time with this painting because I know the love that Sandra has for her husband, family and farm, and she wanted this painting to represent that love and thankfulness.

Robert is known to be a hard worker.  He's from the generation that a full day's work includes working both day and night, not necessarily the typical eight hours.   His work ethic and his love of the land shows in their beautiful farm.

He wasn't too crazy about me taking his picture, but he went along with Sandra's wishes.  When he was working with the cows, he would hold out his hand towards them, so I wanted to include that in the painting.


I also wanted to include their daughter's bull "Barney."  He's more of a pet than anything, and Sandra's eyes danced as she talked about Julie's love for that ol' bull.


Their oldest son Bobby drove up as I was taking pictures.  Still in work clothes, he was there to help his father with the farm.  His work day was not yet done either.



I enjoyed the process of painting this for Sandra, but most of all, I loved her reaction to seeing the painting.  Sandra's eyes filled with love tears.  What a blessing to me, to be able to be a part of something like this.  



2 comments:

  1. Wow, Gina, you sure know how to tell a story and touch a person's heart. What better way to capture the essence, the beauty, the love, the emotion within that story than in your lovely painting. No wonder it was accepted with tears of love. Congratulatons in creating a magical, heart felt painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Susan. You know the feeling, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete