Saturday, November 3, 2012

Autumn Still Life

"Autumn Still Life"
16 x 12, oil on linen

I recently attended a workshop with John Guernsey.  I first met John in 2009 at the first Southeastern Plein Air event in Gadsden, Alabama.  Since then we've become good friends.  I admire John a lot for his work ethic and also his love of art, and the fact that he's basically self-taught himself.  He's an excellent teacher as well.  I actually think John is a genius, but don't tell him I said so.  He's very smart and very deliberate in his choices of color and composition.  He really focuses on values and making sure everything reads correctly.  The Gadsden Museum of Art invited him to conduct a workshop and it filled up quickly.  I signed up and also encouraged my nephew, Kaleb, to go too.  Kaleb is currently an art major at Troy University.  The above painting is the painting that I completed at the workshop.  It's a little different from the way I usually paint, but I really admire John's work so I tried to follow his technique as closely as I could.  It was a great workshop and if you ever get a chance to learn from John, I highly recommend it!  To see John's blog, click here.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow - this is simply perfect. I love the placement of the shadow of the red apple lining up with the similar values of the green of the stems.
    I love tangents like that!
    I will be interested to see what you do with what you learned incorporated into your regular work.
    I am staying tuned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie. You always leave such sweet comments.

      Delete