Friday, March 10, 2017

Thoughts on Commission Work

"Price and Jax" 18 x 18, oil



This is a painting I just finished up last night... I've taken my time with it, as it is a commission piece. When taking custom orders, I feel it's very important to communicate with the customer to find out as much about his / her vision as possible. One last minute detail I found out was that the steps were important to include. I was planning on making the steps more like an uphill path, to simplify the composition and put more focus on the boy and dog. I told my plans to do such and then was asked to please include the steps, as this was a special place that the family visits.

A note to my artist friends who read my blog:  In teaching my workshops, I've found that one of the questions I receive often is about mixing my colors.  95% of the time, I only use four tubes of colors plus white.  Those colors being cadmium red medium, cadmium yellow lemon, ultramarine blue, and cerulean blue. If you notice the colors in the steps on this painting, you'll see all the different combinations of gray.  I like this effect in paintings, and is the reason I don't just use a tube of gray paint.... rather, I mix my grays and therefore have subtle variations that I believe add to the painting.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful colors and textures. I love the tone or mood you've created. I'm glad you listened and made the steps to fit their family's story. (I once was asked to make sure to leave the finger crooked at the end and another time to put the door knobs in an odd place... but when there's a reason!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a transformation! Very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a beautiful interpretation of the photo - catching the energy and motion so perfectly! Bravo, Gina!

    ReplyDelete